Merging paint layers combines any visible layers for an active paint channel into one layer. This reduces the number of texture
files and saves texture memory when painting models.
Note the following when merging layers:
- Visible layers are merged in the same order as when they were separate layers.
- If merging layers with different image resolutions, the layer with the highest resolution determines the merge layer’s resolution.
For example, if three layers with image resolutions of 512 x 512, 256 x 256, and 1024 x 1024 are merged, the resulting merge
layer has a resolution of 1024 x 1024.
- If merging layers with different color bit depths, the layer with the highest bit depth determines the resulting merge layer’s
- When the paint layer exists on multiple UV tiles, the layer is merged even though the tiles may be unloaded.
To merge paint layers
- In the Paint Layers window, ensure that all layers you want to merge are visible in the active paint channel.
(You can temporarily hide any layers you don’t want merged. See Hide or show a paint layer.)
- Select the paint layer you want the other visible layers to be merged into.
- Click the window menu () or right-click the selected layer and do either of the following:
- To merge and delete the source layers, select . (This operation can be undone.)
Use this option when you're satisfied with the combination of layers and the merged texture they produce. Note that the individual
layer properties, such as are frozen when layers are merged this way. The merged layer adopts the name of the selected layer.
- To create a merged layer but also keep the original source layers in the stack, select .
Use this option if you want to view the merged layer effect, but also have the option to continue adjusting the source layers.
You can also quickly export a single image of the merged effect for all paint layers within a channel, without actually merging
the layers in Mudbox. See Export paint layers
Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License