When you select multiple objects, the last selected
object is drawn in a different color from other selected objects.
This is known as the key object. Some tools use the key object to
determine what to do with the selection. For example:
- When you transform multiple objects,
the transformation uses the key object’s pivot point.
- The constrain actions constrain all selected
objects to the key object.
Tools and actions
Maya makes a distinction between tools and actions.
Tools appear in the Tool
Box. Almost all menu items are actions, however there
are some tools in the menus. You can tell which menu items are tool by
- The menu item has the word Tool in it.
- When you select the tool it shows up
in the Tool Box.
- Instructions appear on the help line
when the tool is active.